Residential Life Banner

Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I get a community handbook?
Community handbooks containing important policy information are available for download in PDF format from the FAQs and Forms page.

How do I change my meal plan?
You may change your meal plan by filling out the Meal Plan Change Request form under the Resources tab. Changes can be made within the first two weeks from the start of a semester. You may also make the change by visiting our office listed on the contact page.

How do I make payments?
Payments should be made online through your TigerTracks portal. It is the students' responsibility to check their personal financial information. For more information about payment plans please contact Student Fiscal Services at 785-628-5251 or visit their website.

Can I defer my payment until my financial aid comes in?
You will need to contact Student Fiscal Services at 785-628-5251 or visit their website.

Can I cancel my housing contract?
Housing contracts may be cancelled pursuant to the reasons outlined in the respective contract, subject to a cancellation fee. Other cancellations may be made for extenuating circumstances, at the discretion of the committee. Students wishing to cancel their contract must fill out the Housing Contract Termination Form, regardless of the reason for cancellation.

What size are the beds?
The residence hall beds are extra-long twin (80"). The Stadium Place beds are queen sized.

What size sheets do I need?
You will need extra-long twin sheets. RHA offers bedding packages in a variety of colors and patterns. Should you choose to purchase one of these sets, your bedding will be in your room upon arrival. You may view these options here.

Can I bunk or loft my bed?
Select beds in McMindes Hall and Custer Hall are able to be bunked or lofted. All other bed's heights can be adjusted. Please complete the Loft Kit Request Form and return it to our office or submit via email or fax if you are interested in using a loft kit.

What are the room dimensions?
All room dimensions are listed on the corresponding building page.

When will I find out if I got a single room?
Single rooms are granted based on space availability. In our traditional halls, single rooms are generally not available in the fall semester. Single spaces will be assigned as space becomes available throughout the school year.

When will I find out who my roommate is?
You will find out your roommate sometime mid-summer (generally late June or early July) through your FHSU email account. Please keep an eye on your FHSU Mail account.

What if I don't get along with my roommate?
If you don't get along with your roommate, talk to your RA about the problem and try to get it resolved. Our staff members are prepared to help you work through a variety of issues. If problems persist, contact your Hall Director about relocating.

When can I move in?
The halls officially open at 12:00 PM on 8/17/17.

Can I move in early?
Certain circumstances allow students to move in early. If you were told by a coach that you are required to move in early, chances are you do not have to fill out a form and will not be charged (this includes athletic teams, band, Horizons, etc.). If you fall under one of these categories you should contact your coach/advisor for your move-in date and time.

If you do not fall under one of the above categories and wish to move in to a residence hall prior to the official move-in date, you must fill out an Early Move-In Request Form. You will be charged $52 per day (or $120 per week, whichever is cheaper).

Can I look at my room?
You will receive information via TigerTracks email about your room assignment sometime mid-summer (generally late June or early July). After you have received your assignment, you may contact your Hall Director to schedule an appointment.

What's an RA?
An RA is a Resident Assistant. RAs have demonstrated success in balancing the academic and social demands of college life. They live in your hall and receive training to make your transition to college easier. All of our RAs have lived on-campus and understand the residential environment.

How can I get a job?
Residential Life provides numerous positions for students to fill throughout the department. For more information about employment opportunities, visit our jobs page! For information about other on-campus jobs, you may also try visiting Student Employment in Picken Hall 207A.

Can I cook in my room?
You may bring a small microwave and refrigerator with you for your room. Appliances which produce heat (including, but not limited to: toasters, toaster ovens, George Foreman grills, woks, and hot plates) are prohibited.

Can I rent a refrigerator or microwave from FHSU or do I need to buy my own?
You will have to provide your own fridge and microwave if you wish to have one in your room.

What is RHA?
The Residence Hall Association (RHA) acts as the official voice for students living on campus. RHA serves as a link between on-campus residents and the administration to provide input about the dining services and overall functioning of the residence halls. RHA also provides programming for all the halls and is in charge of the campus Movie Channel (Channel 21). Keep your eyes open for postings during move in for information on upcoming activities and meetings.

How do I get my mail?
Each resident is assigned access to a mailbox. Refer to the mailing addresses page for specific building addresses.

How do I get Internet access?
Wired Internet access in the residence halls is set up on a "plug-and-play" system. The CTC Helpdesk has a walkthrough available.

How do I get a parking permit?
You will need to visit the University Police office in the Custer Hall 112 to buy a parking permit. There will also be information on how to get a permit online in your move-in packet.

Can I bring a bike?
Yes, you are allowed to bring a bike. Bike racks are located at the front of each hall. It is your responsibility to secure your own bike.

What do I do if I need special accommodations?
Please contact Student Affairs at 785-628-4276.

What do I need to do for Meningitis?
All students living on-campus MUST have a Meningitis vaccination or have a signed waiver on file with Student Health Services per the Meningitis Policy. You will need to contact Student Health at 785-628-4293.

What's the different between Tiger Impact & Freshman Orientation?
Freshman Orientation is just one aspect of Tiger Impact. Tiger Impact is a weekend long event filled with activities that will help prepare you for college life.

What do I need to pack for the Residence Halls?
To view a list of things you should pack and things you should leave at home, visit our Packing List page.

Back to top